Your child’s first visit to the dentist is an important milestone. This first visit should take place after the first tooth has erupted, or by the time your child reaches his or her first birthday.
As a parent, finding a good pediatric dentist and then taking your child in for regular appointments must be a top priority.
The First Visit: What to Expect
Your son or daughter’s first visit to the dentist will likely be short but informative. Here are a few things parents should know prior to this first visit:
- One of the main purposes of the first appointment is to gather information about his or her health. This enables our dentists to track any changes that may occur. Parents should be prepared to complete paperwork during this visit.
- The dentist will want to check to make sure your child’s teeth are coming in properly and that there are no serious issues with his or her bite.
- Young children often consume a diet that is heavily based on milk, which contains sugars that can cause decay. During the first appointment, your child’s dentist will examine the teeth to make sure there is no decay developing, and if there is, develop a treatment plan.
- One of our pediatric dentists can provide you with guidelines on how best to care for your child’s teeth and gums at home.
- The first appointment is the perfect opportunity for parents to ask any questions they may have as well as discuss any concerns, such as the teething process or thumb sucking.
By taking your child to the dentist at an early age, you can protect your child’s teeth and gums, help him or her become accustomed to dental appointments, and establish a solid foundation for excellent oral health.
The team at Babylon Dental Care is experienced in providing top-notch dental care for patients young and old alike.