Fluoride Treatment: Babylon Dental Care
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention emphasizes how critical it is to receive the right amount of fluoride to control and prevent cavities. It is known in the dental industry that people who consume the right amount of fluoridated water (starting from birth) will have about 35% less decay throughout their adult years.
If there was a way to decrease your chances of tooth decay, cavities, and gum disease, wouldn’t you do it?
Our dentists are ready to get your teeth and gums in tip-top shape, and fluoride treatments are a great start!
Our in-office fluoride treatments at Babylon Dental Care include:
- Voco-Pro Fluoride Varnish
- Pro-den RX 2.0% Neutral Sodium Fluoride Rinse
We also offer options for at-home treatments, including:
- MI Paste
- Prescription Fluoride Toothpaste
- All Natural Toothpaste and Tonic
Why do you need in-office fluoride treatments?
Our patients ask us this question quite often. Here’s why routine, 6-month fluoride treatments are important for healthy teeth and gums:
- The presence of fluoride slows down (or stops) the process inhibiting harmful bacteria from causing cavities. Fluoride acts as a protective barrier against the bacteria hardening or mineralizing on the tooth’s surface.
- If your teeth are already harmed by bacteria-causing agents, fluoride can help to repair or remineralize them. Fluoride will not repair cavities by any means, but it can help to prevent new cavities.
- If your tap water at home does not contain a sufficient amount of fluoride, chances are high that your teeth lack enough fluoride.
- If you do not intake enough fluoride for healthy teeth, you are running the risk of developing tooth decay (which can also lead to periodontal or gum disease down the road).
- Routine treatments from our dentists give that extra boost of fluoride your teeth need, and also help with tooth sensitivity.
What is the recommended fluoride intake?
So just how much fluoride should you and your family be consuming? The fact is that you and your family (especially your children) should consume fluoride on a daily basis.
- We recommend finding out how much fluoride is in your tap water that you cook with and drink. If you find out that your tap water does not have enough fluoride, our dentists can recommend ways for you and your family to get an appropriate amount.
- To find out the water fluoridation level, you can contact your water supplier, local public health authority, or another knowledgeable source.
- We can also help you determine, based on your water’s fluoridation levels, the proper amount that you should consume on a daily basis.
Fluoride treatments for kids
- Our pediatric dentist, Dr. Sara, also recommends that your children receive the proper amount of fluoride every day.
- If your child consistently drinks well water, bottled water, or un-fluoridated tap water, Dr. Sara recommends that he or she receive fluoride another way (i.e. in-office fluoride treatments, dietary fluoride supplements).
- There are also toothpastes that contain certain amounts of fluoride, too.
If you are concerned that you’re not consuming enough fluoride, please call us to schedule your appointment. We are more than happy to answer all of your questions and to give you recommendations when possible. We highly recommend scheduling your in-office fluoride treatment appointment, too!