Each October, while children prepare to fill their bags full of sweet treats on Halloween night, dentists prepare for the damage those treats will inflict on teeth and gums. October’s National Dental Hygiene Month is actually partnered with the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company, the creator of one of the world’s most popular sugar-free chewing gums.
During the month of October, dentists with the American Dental Hygienists Association encourage people of all ages to do what they can to maintain a healthy oral hygiene routine that includes brushing, flossing, rinsing, and eating healthy foods.
A Healthy Oral Routine
There are five components of a healthy oral routine. If brushing and flossing have come second to the other demands of daily life, October is a good time to revisit your routine and polish it up a bit.
1. The first part of any healthy oral routine is brushing your teeth twice a day. The American Dental Hygienists Association recommends brushing your teeth once in the morning after breakfast and once after your last meal before bed.
2. Second is flossing, which many people tend to neglect despite its proven benefits. Cleaning food debris from the tough spots in between your teeth keeps your gums healthy.
3. Third is planning a healthy diet to promote the strength of tooth enamel and promote saliva production. Foods with too much sugar or starch could get stuck more easily on your teeth, leading to a buildup of plaque.
4. Fourth is a bit surprising. Dentists recommend chewing sugar-free gum, like Wrigley’s, after each meal to promote healthy saliva production. This helps keep your mouth hydrated, which in turn cleans off harmful bacteria from your teeth and gums.
5. Fifth is using a mouthwash alongside twice-daily brushing to ensure the erasure of all harmful bacteria.
Schedule Your Checkup With Babylon Dental Care
If your oral hygiene routine has fallen by the wayside, it’s time to get back on track with Babylon Dental Care. Our team of specialists offers a variety of services, including general and cosmetic dentistry, emergency dental care, and routine cleanings. We are open and ready to welcome you to your next appointment. Call our office at (631) 983-6665 to schedule your next checkup with Babylon Dental Care.